Oral hygiene instruction helps you to prevent new cavities, and maintain your own healthy teeth and gums. At your first visit to Westboro Station Dental in Ottawa, your hygienist will show you how to properly brush and floss. Follow-up visits will help track your progress in maintaining healthy gums and teeth, and to reinforce techniques of cleaning at home.
1. Don’t smoke. Smoking isn’t just hard on your lungs, it also increases your risk of oral cancers and increases inflammation.
2. Eat a well balanced diet. Avoid excessive snacking between meals, especially sticky, sugary foods.
3. Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Use a soft bristled toothbrush, it’s gentler and safer for your gums and brush in a circular motion that moves the brush bristles ‘away’ from the gums: on the top arch, this means you are brushing in a circular direction which is top-down; on the bottom arch, you brush in a bottom-to-top circular motion. Remember: don’t rush the brush! It should take at least 2-3 minutes to do a good job.
4. Floss your teeth at least once a day. Dental floss can get between your teeth and under your gums where your toothbrush can’t reach. Floss between your teeth and wrap it into a “C” shape around the base of the tooth and gently under the gum line. Wipe the tooth from base to tip two or three times. Be sure to floss both sides of every tooth.
5. Consider using an oral rinse. Dr. Hwang or one of the Westboro Station dental hygienists may recommend a fluoride or antiseptic rinse for even more thorough cleaning.
Regular brushing and flossing is essential for oral health maintenance between dental office visits, but routine general & preventative care from Dr. Hwang and the hygienists can help your mouth stay healthy. Westboro Station Dental offers hygiene care that includes regular oral examinations and cleanings, periodontal treatments, fluoride treatments and even professional breath control to help you maintain a healthy mouth.